Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sew it is

I completed my first garment! Considering I had never even sat down at a sewing machine, had no knowledge of how to even thread a needle, this is huge guys. It takes serious patience. And, that is not one of my strong suits. So leading up to this garment completion, we have learned all sorts of different methods, seams, on different parts of clothing...but never put anything together per say. My blood pressure rapidly increased as I watched our professor explain the different steps involved with creating this shirt. We spend an entire afternoon in the sewing lab and not once have I completed our entire assignment before the lab is over. I have to go back during the week to finish our assignment, which most people do. So, this assignment I was most definitely going to be spending time in the sewing lab. Much to my surprise, I completed about 75% of the shirt before lab was over. Yesterday, I went back to sew the sleeves into the sleeve openings. The sleeves were tricky to say the least. The puff around the top of the shoulder, we used a method called crimping...and this shit ain't easy kids. I normally have to rip out my seams at least twice before I get them just right...not this time...first time. Kind of proud of myself. So are you ready to see the end product? It is nothing fancy but considering it consists of 6 pieces put together with 4 darts...its harder than it looks. And NO i will not be wearing it. It's minature, not that i would wear it anyway. Do do you know what goes into making a roll up cuff puff sleeve? Ok check this out....

p.s. do you see my lovely flowers in my backyard?

1 comment: