Monday, October 12, 2009

First day at FIDM

So I thought i would recap my day for everyone bc it sure was interesting. Being in the real world for almost 7 yrs...i have a whole new outlook on this thing they call school. Today i had to go to the LA campus which is in downtown and hope and try to get in two classes i needed. Both of which i was able to get into.
I had to park 2 blocks away and pay $7 per day to this mexi attendant and petrified to leave him my keys...so i refused. I made my way inside and upon my arrival i immediately was awstruck. These people you guys...wouldn't believe it....this chic has a full head of bright pink dreads...dudes w crazy hats on, skin tights jeans, huge 6" heels, tiny asians w fuschia hightops on and the most unreal thing to me....PEOPLE USE ROLLING BAGS INSTEAD OF BACKPACKS? Huh? I mean, by no means am i joining that crowd.

So my first class is fabric identification and textiles is a pre-requisite but i got my textile class transfered(you non merch. people won't get these terms, sorry). So this teacher is a man from FIT in NYC and has been in the industry as a lace manufacturer for years. He seems pretty cool. And did you know that there is something called www.ratemyprofessor.com? I mean where was this when we were in school? So girl next to me told me abt it and that this teacher has good reviews. Good thing. So immediately he is throwing out terms i hadn't heard in nearly a decade: weft, warp, pile, hydrophilic, etc. etc. and so basically i have a lot to review. This guy overloaded us w info.

I had 3 hours btwn classes where i sat in the garden area and watched a man w a ginormous eagle w a leash show off. Outlandish, ya? So Panini Cafe is across the street so i went to eat my fav mediter. dinner:) Went over my notes 500 times and decided to go campout for some more people watching. Soooooo many gay boys w tight jeans that fall to their ankles basically. It is really a scene. Oh and one chic is like 6'5" w spikey purple hair.

So my next class was at 6pm which i was so incredibly apprehensive about bc i never once took a night class in college. My brain turns off at 5pm. I had to do some real mental prep for this. So i walk in and this professor is an absolute blast. Just picture project runway designer x 10. As gay as it gets. Walks in and is like "heeeeeeey girlies...." swishing his butt. He cusses the entire class. Tells a girl she needs to go home and have a bottle of wine bc she has been at school since 7am. So he is a designer and has a collection and the name has left my memory for the evening but i will think of it in a sec. so this is his side job...he says i don't have to do this girls...i just love looking at your pretty faces and giving back. he was a student at FIDM years ago and loves the school. He has like 3 assistants and dresses to the nines. I mean you talk about total entertainment. Oh did i mention this class is sketching? Oh ya....and its beginner. We had to draw and he went around and held everyones up and made fun of them basically but it was hilarious. I was laughing the entire class. So we finally get to leave at 8pm and i have literally a huge ginormous canvas bag w supplies falling out the top and all kinds of crap in my hands. It was not a fun walk back to my car where a bum was laying behind my car. Ewww. I made the long truck home, an hour, and sitting calmly on my couch w no noises. Joyous. Oh, and a glass of wine of course.

So that was a day in the life of...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you are starting a blog. I cannot wait to follow your days of school and life in general...and to see pics of that new baby niece, of course!

    ReplyDelete